Over twelve years providing IT consulting services in a variety of domains including telecommunication, finance, transportation and government. Strong software engineering and development skills complemented with experience in business domain. Led development teams and dealt directly with clients. Author of EcoLogix™, a web-based ERP platform, implemented in Java and C#.
2012 ~ 2013, Researcher (Fellowship), Institute for Software Research, Carnegie Mellon University.
2010 ~ 2011 December, Master of Software Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University (QPA: 3.8)
1995 ~ 1997, Bachelor in Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University, Korea
1993 ~ 1995, Computer Science, Florida State University, Panama Canal Branch, Panama
Fluent in Spanish, Korean, and English
Honors and Awards
- 2011.12~2012.12, MSE Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2010, Professional Excellence National Scholarship for Master Program, Panama.
- 2001.10, CEO Award, IONA Technologies.
- Disney Studio, Glendale, Sr. Software Architect. (2016.10 ~ present)
- Pearson, Boston, USA. Sr. Software Architect. (2013.06 ~ 2016.10).
Develop interactive educational UI framework.
- Wayfair, Boston, USA. Software Engineer. (2013.02 ~ 2013.06).
Design and implement high performing web/mobile service framework.
- Human Computer Interaction Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA. Research Associate/Software Engineer. (2012.01 ~ 2013.01).
Development of DataShop, data mining system for learning analyisis.
- Dynamic Decision Making Lab, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA. Research Assistant. (2011.01 ~ present)
Research on Cyber Security Situational Awareness. Published two papers (see below).
- Altenia Corporation, Panama. Founder and Principal Consultant. (2005.08 ~ present)
Providing IT consultancy service. Clients: Panamanian government, LG, several other small businesses.
- Nuri Solutions, Seoul, Korea. New Business Development Division Manager. (2004.01 ~ 2005.05)
In charge of developing new business using third party products: Autonomy and Fiorano ESB.
- Bioinformatics Lab, Seoul National University, Korea. Research Assistant. (2003.06 ~ 2003.12)
Assisted research on RNA evolution with genetic programming. Published a paper (see below).
- IONA Technologies, Seoul, Korea. Technical Account Manager/Consultant. (2001.04 ~ 2003.05)
Provided consultancy service of CORBA products for clients such as Samsung, Korea Telecom and SK Telecom companies. Also conducted training to partners and clients.
- METHODi, Seoul Korea. Software Engineer. (1999.02 ~ 2000.12)
Developed for projects including International Airport and SK Telecom.
- Researcher in Task Oriented Computing on Home Building Automation Project, ISR/CMU, Pittsburgh, USA. (2012.01~present)
Currently researching on automating and optimizing tasks in a home and building environment.
- Team Leader of Mentor-Match.me, startupweekend.org, Pittsburgh, USA. (2010.03)
Participated in Startup Weekend Pittsburgh event to and lead a team of 8 people to develop in 52 hours a site for mentor matching.
- Team Leader / Chief Architect of PSP Support Tool, Software Engineering Institute (SEI), Pittsburgh, USA. (2010.09~2011.12)
Developed a tool that facilitates data collection for Personal Software ProcessSM. Its architecture addresses scalability and extensibility by using service based structure and model factory pattern. Development process: TSP and Agile. Technologies: Java, Eclipse RCP, Hibernate, Spring Framework.
- Project Manager / Chief Architect of Service Mediator for Online Banking Services, BBVA Bank, Panama. (2010.03~2010.07)
Developed a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) based middleware system to integrate back-end applications with channel applications. The system handles an average of 400 transactions per minute. Technologies: AS400, Web Sphere, IBM DB2, Java, Web Services, Spring Framework, XML.
- Project Manager/Architect of Mobile Phone Service Quality Indicator Measurement System Development, Autoridad Nacional de Servicios Públicos (ASEP), Panama. (2010.01~2010.05).
Developed a web-based application that collects phone service quality metrics data and provides reporting for auditing. Technologies: Visual Studio 2008 (C#), MVC.NET, Spring.NET, IIS, SQL Server.
- Project Manager/Chief Architect of Customer Support Management System for Call Center, LG Electronics, Panama. ( 2008.09~2009.02)
Developed a ticket management system that replaced the existing client-server based system. The new web-based system integrated seamlessly with CTI (Telephony) system. It handled 150 concurrent users (agents) including region managers from 12 different countries in Latin America. The new system performed 8 times faster than the previous system. Technologies: Java, Spring Framework, MySQL, jQuery, Hessian, C# (for CTI application).
- Project Manager of Expo & Venue Management System Development, CAPAC, Panama. (2006.03~11)
Developed a system that managed the website for real-estate and construction fair held annually by the organization. Technologies: C#, DotNetNuke, SQL Server.
- Programmer of Credit Information Interface System (CIIS), HSBC Korea, Korea. (2004.10~2005.02)
Developed a module in CIIS that provided secure communication interface between Korea and Hong Kong branches. Technologies: AS400, Sun Solaris, Java, C++, ACE ORB, Socket, X.25.
- Lead Programmer of Multimedia Messaging System (MMS) Enhancement, Korea Telecom, Korea. (2004.07~10)
Developed a high-performance integration system that provided reliable communication among applications that handled mobile multimedia messages. Technology: HP UX, C, Java, FioranoMQ.
- Architect of the Integration Layer at Freeway Traffic Management System (FTMS), Inchon International Airport, Korea. (1999.11~2000.10)
Developed a CORBA-based service bus that integrated nine systems that managed the freeway to the new International Airport. Various mechanism of fault-tolerance that I developed was instrumental for the success of the overall project. Technologies: HP UX with HA, CORBA, C++, COM, PowerBuilder.
- Project Leader of Internet Community System, Ipopcorn, Seoul, Korea. (1999.08~11)
Led a team that developed a community portal. The portal included user management, forum, chat, and integration with Blaxxun’s virtual reality community platform. Technologies: ASP, SQL Server, VRML
- Developer of OCR Engine using Multilayer Perceptron for a Document to HTML Converter Application, Center for Artificial Vision Research, Korea University. (1998.04~12)
- Dutt, V., Ahn, Y.S., & Gonzalez, C. (2011). Cyber Situation Awareness: Modeling the Security Analyst in a Cyber-Attack Scenario through Instance-Based Learning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6818, 280-292. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-22348-8_24
- Dutt, V., Ahn, Y.S.., & Gonzalez, C. (in preparation). Cyber Situation Awareness: Modeling the Detection of Cyber Attacks with Instance-based Learning Theory.
- Dutt, V., Ahn, Y.S.., Ben-Asher, N., & Gonzalez, C. (2012). Modeling the Effects of Base-rates on Cyber Threat Detection Performance. In Paper presented at the 11th International Conference on Cognitive Modeling. Berlin, Germany.
- Dutt, V., Ahn, Y.S.., & Gonzalez, C. (2011). Cyber Situation Awareness: Modeling the Security Analyst in a cyber-attack scenario through Instance-based Learning. In Paper presented at the 25th Annual WG 11.3 Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy (to appear in Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6818 (LNCS 6818), Springer) . Richmond, VA, USA.
- Dutt, V., Ahn, Y.S., & Gonzalez, C. (2011). Cyber Situation Awareness: Modeling the Security Analyst in a cyber-attack scenario through Instance-based Learning. In Poster presented at the 20th Behavior Representation in Modeling & Simulation (BRIMS) Conference. Sundance Resort, Utah, USA.
- Nam, J.W., Joung, J.G., Ahn,Y.S., and Zhang, B., Two-Step Genetic Programming for Optimization of RNA Common-Structure, EvoBio 2004, LNCS Journal. (2004.04)
“EAI & Web Service Platform,” Programmer’s World Magazine, May 2002, Korea. (2002.05)
- “IONA e-Finance Solution, Credit Suisse Case Study,” Seoul Financial IT International Conference. (2001.09.12)
- “IONA Enterprise Portal Solution,” 2001 EIP Solution Fair, Seoul, Korea. (2001.08.30)
- “Total Business Integration,” EAI Solution Fair, Seoul, Korea. (2001.06.15)
- “CORBA 3.0 Specifications,” invited speaker, KRNet99, Seoul, Korea. (1999.05.30)
- “E-Commerce Solutions with CORBA,” presentation, ’99 EC/CALS Technical Workshop, Korea Science & Technology Building. (1999.05.04)
- “Distributed Systems with CORBA,” Korea OpenGIS Workshop ’99. (1999.04.09)
- “CORBA Load Balancing Strategy,” 2nd Domestic Object Oriented Seminar, Seoul, Korea. (1999.02.25~26)
- "Object Oriented System," Lecture for Computer Science Department faculty, Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, Panama. (1998.02)
Affiliation to Organizations
- Project Management Professional (PMI), PMP Certified (2009)
- Member of The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE)
Skills & Knowledge
- Processes and maturity models: CMMi, Team Software Process (TSP), Open UP, Agile.
- Technologies: J2EE, WebServices (SOAP, REST), CORBA
- Libraries and frameworks: SpringFramework, iBatis, Hibernate, Apache projects (Tomcat, Commons, CXF, Log4j, Maven, Lucene, POI, Velocity, Derby, etc.), jQuery, Boostrap, AngularJS, React/Flux.
- Platforms: Unix, Windows, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Mongo, Redis